What Can You Do with Leftover 529 College Savings?

Leftover Rollover

Suppose you’ve been contributing to a 529 college savings plan, but your son or daughter doesn’t use all the money for tuition, books etc. Do you just ask for the remainder of your money back?

Any contribution to a 529 plan is deemed to be a completed gift to the beneficiary—typically a child or grandchild of the donor. If you don’t want to incur a gift tax, then you can contribute up to $18,000 a year, but you can actually make five years of contributions at once—$90,000—if you treat the contribution as if it was spread over a five-year period. (You would do this on IRS Form 709 for all five years). If you only want to contribute, say, $50,000, then you can apply $10,000 per year. After the contribution, the money grows tax-free and can be used to pay college expenses without being taxed.

But back to the first question; you have the money in the account, but now it looks like the son or daughter isn’t going to use all of it. What do you do? You can indeed revoke the funds in the account, but that means they will be added back to your taxable estate, earnings will be taxable and the IRS will assess a 10% tax penalty. 

You can roll the money from one 529 plan to another one, tax-free, so that it covers another daughter or granddaughter. That allows you to jump-start another child’s or grandchild’s college savings.

Finally, starting this year, you can transfer the stranded funds to a Roth IRA. There are restrictions. One of the most severe is that the 529 plan must have been maintained for at least 15 years, and the amount transferred must come from contributions and earnings made at least five years before the transfer. The Roth IRA must have the same beneficiary as the 529 plan, meaning that the money can’t go back to an account held by the parents, grandparents or other children. However, the owner of a 529 plan can change the beneficiary to another individual before the transfer.

In 2024, the aggregate amount transferred from the 529 plan to a Roth IRA for any individual cannot exceed $35,000. That means the transfer might not be a good option for parents whose child suddenly decides to forego college. But for leftover funds, the money that would have gone to pay for college can be used to pay for future retirement expenses instead—and preserve its tax-free growth in the process. 



Material discussed is meant for general informational purposes only and is not to be construed as tax, legal, or investment advice. Although the information has been gathered from sources believed to be reliable, please note that individual situations can vary. Therefore, the information should be relied upon only when coordinated with individual professional advice. This article was written by an independent third party. It is provided for informational and educational purposes only. The views and opinions expressed herein may not be those of Guardian Life Insurance Company of America (Guardian) or any of its subsidiaries or affiliates. Guardian does not verify and does not guarantee the accuracy or completeness of the information or opinions presented herein. Registered Representative and Financial Advisor of Park Avenue Securities LLC (PAS). OSJ: 5280 CARROLL CANYON ROAD, SUITE 300, SAN DIEGO CA, 92121, 619-6846400. Securities products and advisory services offered through PAS, member FINRA, SIPC. Financial Representative of The Guardian Life Insurance Company of America® (Guardian), New York, NY. PAS is a wholly owned subsidiary of Guardian. LIVING LEGACY FINANCIAL INSURANCE SERVICES LLC is not an affiliate or subsidiary of PAS or Guardian. Insurance products offered through WestPac Wealth Partners and Insurance Services, LLC, a DBA of WestPac Wealth Partners, LLC. CA Insurance License #0F64319, AR Insurance License #9233390 | 2024-170741 Exp. 03/26 | This material is intended for general use. By providing this content Park Avenue Securities LLC and your financial representative are not undertaking to provide investment advice or make a recommendation for a specific individual or situation, or to otherwise act in a fiduciary capacity. Guardian, its subsidiaries, agents and employees do not provide tax, legal, or accounting advice. Consult your tax, legal, or accounting professional regarding your situation.