Strategic Financial Planning
As a successful business owner, you have plenty of things to worry about, but your personal finances after exit doesn’t have to be one of them. The end of your involvement with your business can be a bright new beginning for you. At Living Legacy, we’ll help you:
- Create a Succession and Exit Plan
- Design a Business Continuity Plan
- Implement Company-Sponsored Retirement Plans (401(k), Profit Sharing, Cash Balance, Defined Benefit, etc.)
- Activate Key Employee Bonus and Benefit Plans (Executive Benefits, Stay Bonus, Deferred Compensation, etc.)
- Explore Tax Reduction Strategies
- Coordinate Everything with an Estate Plan that Provides Satisfactory Income, Control and Wealth Preservation
You've built a successful business, and now it’s time to move on. How do you convert your greatest asset into plentiful retirement income, with the confidence that it will be enough for the rest of your life? How do you plan for one of life’s biggest personal and professional changes? At Living Legacy, we guide you through this process. Many Financial advisors only have experience in personal financial planning. We also specialize in business succession and exit planning. We’ll synchronize the personal and business aspects of your life, putting you on the path to the retirement you deserve.
The Living Legacy Process
- Identify Your Objectives
- Quantify Your Resources
- Business Valuation
- Gap Analysis
Get Started with a Complimentary, No-Obligation Business Valuation!
- The term might be a bit of a misnomer. Exit planning also encompasses identifying strategic opportunities to reduce taxes and set aside money for the future, as well as retain key people who are critical to the value of the business. This is part of why you shouldn't wait until you are ready to exit to do exit planning.
- Yes, a well-implemented exit plan can take several years to execute successfully. Desirable strategies might not be available to you if you wait until there's an offer on the table.
- That's okay, it's normal not to know all of these things from the jump. But there's still necessary steps to be taken in advance of a future exit that will optimize your position going forward.
- Even if the entrepreneurial fire burns deep in your gut and retirement is a dirty word, this type of planning is for you. Through strategic planning it's oftentimes possible to reduce the taxes (income, capital gains and estate) that will be generated by your success. Also, retirement planning doesn't have to be about actually retiring. It could simply be about freeing yourself from the need to produce income and having complete say over if, how and when you continue to work.
- Yes, something could change in your personal life or the business environment that would force you to stop working. We'll explore strategies for you to save money via tailored retirement programs while also receiving tax benefits. In addition, there may be key employees who are critical to the operations of the company who you want to incentivize to stay. Finally, you'll want to have a plan to protect and preserve your wealth for the benefit of your family even if the business is ultimately closed down.
- We may be able to do that immediately based upon your present circumstances or through a process of elimination. Or we may be able to identify multiple potential exit paths, with a final decision being made in the future based upon how your situation develops.
- Many business owners defer leaving their business even though they're ready to go because they're concerned that their resources won't produce a sufficient retirement income. With proper planning that doesn't have to be the case.
- Correct, it can be a lot to handle at one time. That's why we'll prioritize the most critical things and handle those first. We'll break it down into manageable chunks and spread the work out over time as appropriate.
- Yes, we're all going to exit the workforce someday. There will still be strategies and techniques to facilitate your eventual exit, even if there isn't a business to sell.